The annual Corncrake Fieldwork reports for Donegal, West Connacht and the Shannon Callows are available from the BirdWatch Ireland Midland Office on request.
We regularly provide updates in BirdWatch Ireland’s quarterly magazine Wings. Please see:
- Number 43 Winter 2006
- Number 42 Autumn 2006 “Crakes Alive”
- Number 41 Summer 2006 “Corncrake – rare breeder”
- Number 39 Winter 2005 “ Corncrake Futures”
- Number 38 Autumn 2005 “Bumper Year for Corncrakes”
- Number 37 Summer 2005 “Corncrake Islands”
- Number 37 Summer 2005 Front Cover
Other published and unpublished Corncrake reports and papers from Ireland & Britain include:
- Copland, A. (2002) Delivering Corncrake Crex crex conservation in Ireland: Past, present and future. Irish Birds 7: 33-42.
- Casey C (1998) The Distribution and Conservation of Corncrakes in Ireland, 1993-1998. Irish Birds 6: 159-176.
- Copland A & Donaghy A (2001) A strategy for Corncrake Conservation in Ireland, 2001 - 2010. Unpublished Report, BirdWatch Ireland, Dublin.
- O’Meara M (1986) Corncrake declines in seven areas, 1987-1985. Irish Birds 3: 237-244
- O’Meara M (1979) Distribution and numbers of Corncrakes in Ireland in 1978. Irish Birds 1: 382-405
- Green, R.E. & Tyler G.A. 2005. Estimating the age of Corncrake Crex crex chicks from body weight and the development of primary feathers. Ringing & Migration 22, 139-144. 2005.
- Norris C A (1947) Report on the distribution and status of the Corncrake. British Birds 40: 226-244
- Mayes E & Stowe T J (1989) The status and distribution of the Corncrake in Ireland. Irish Birds 4: 1 – 12
- Green, R.E. 2004. Age-dependent changes in the shape of the secondary remiges of individual adult Corncrakes Crex crex. Ringing & Migration 22, 83-84.
- Green, R.E. 2004. A new method for estimating the adult survival rate of the Corncrake Crex crex and comparison with estimates from ring-recovery and ring-recapture data. Ibis 146: 501-508.
- Tyler, G.A. and Green, R.E. 2004. Effects of weather on the survival and growth of Corncrake Crex crex chicks. Ibis 146: 69-76.
- Green, R.E., Schäffer, N. & Wend, D. 2001. A method for ageing adult Corncrakes Crex crex. Ringing & Migration 20: 352-357.
- Schäffer, N. & Green, R.E. 2001. The Global Status of the Corncrake. RSPB Conservation Review 13: 18-24.
- Green, R.E. & Gibbons, D.W. 2000. The Status of the Corncrake Crex crex in Britain in 1998. Bird Study 47: 129-137.
- Green, R & Riley, H. 1999. Corncrakes. SNH, Battleby.
- Green, R.E. 1999. Survival and dispersal of male Corncrakes Crex crex in a threatened population. Bird Study Supplement 46: 218-229.
- Peake, T.M., Mcgregor, P.K., Smith, K.W., Tyler, G.A. & Gilbert, G. & Green, R.E. 1998. Individuality in Corncrake Crex crex vocalisations. Ibis 140: 120-127.
- Tyler, G.A., Green, R.E. & Casey, C. 1998. Survival and behaviour of Corncrake Crex crex chicks during the mowing of agricultural grassland. Bird Study 45: 35-50.
- Williams, G., Green, R.E., Casey, C., Deceuninck, B. & Stowe, T.J. 1997. Halting Declines in Globally Threatened Species: The Case of the Corncrake. RSPB Conservation Review 11: 22-31.
- Green, R.E., Tyler, G.A., Stowe, T.J. & Newton, A.V. 1997. A simulation model of the effect of mowing of agricultural grassland on the breeding success of the corncrake (Crex crex) Journal of Zoology, London 243: 81-115.
- Stowe, T.J. & Green, R.E. 1997. Threats to the Corncrake Crex crex on migration and in the winter quarters. Vogelwelt 118: 175-178.
- Crockford, N.J., Green, R.E., Rocamora, G., Schäffer, N., Stowe, T.J. & Williams, G. M. 1997. A summary of the European Action Plan for the Corncrake Crex crex. Vogelwelt 118: 169-173.
- Stowe, T.J. & Green, R.E. 1997. Response of Corncrake Crex crex populations in Britain to conservation action Vogelwelt 118: 161-168.
- Green, R.E., Rocamora, G. & Schäffer, N. 1997. Populations, ecology and threats to the Corncrake Crex crex in Europe. Vogelwelt 118: 117-134.
- Green, R.E., Rayment, M.D. 1996. Geographical variation in the abundance of the Corncrake Crex crex in Europe in relation to the intensity of agriculture. Bird Conservation International 6: 201-211
- Baha El Din, S.M., Salama, W., Grieve, A., Green, R.E. 1996. Trapping and shooting of Corncrakes Crex crex on the Mediterranean coast of Egypt. Bird Conservation International 6: 213-227
- Tyler, G.A., Green, R.E., Stowe, T.J. & Newton, A.V. 1996. Sex differences in the behaviour and measurements of Corncrakes Crex crex in Scotland. Ringing & Migration -19
- Green R.E. 1996. Factors affecting the population density of the corncrake Crex crex in Britain and Ireland. Journal of Applied Ecology 33: 237-248.
- Tyler, G.A. & Green, R.E. 1996. The incidence of nocturnal song by male Corncrakes Crex crex is reduced during pairing. Bird Study 43: 214-219
- Green, R.E. 1995. The decline of the Corncrake Crex crex in Britain continues. Bird Study 42: 66-75
- Sheppard, R. & Green, R.E. 1994. Status of the Corncrake in Ireland in 1993. Irish Birds 5: 125-138
- Green, R.E. & Williams, G. 1994. The ecology of the corncrake Crex crex and action for its conservation in Britain and Ireland. In Bignal, E. & Curtis, D.J. (Eds) Nature Conservation and Pastoralism in Europe pp. 69-74. JNCC, Peterborough.
- Green, R.E. & Stowe, T.J. 1993. The decline of the corncrake Crex crex in Britain and Ireland in relation to habitat change. Journal of Applied Ecology 30: 689-695.
- Stowe, T.J., Newton, A.V., Green, R.E. & Mayes, E. 1993. The decline of the corncrake Crex crex in Britain and Ireland in relation to habitat. Journal of Applied Ecology 30: 53-62.